Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: Concealed carry in my truck.

Concealed carry in my truck.

This is what I just finished to hide my full size American Classic II in.

I pulled out the bottom of the center console & traced it to a piece of card board for the "new" bottom.

Then I traced an outline of the pistol onto some foam filter material I got at Wal-Mart. Then trimmed it out with an X-acto knife leaving a cushion under the ACII, but high enough for the original bottom to cover everything when put in the console compartment with the original bottom on top as a false bottom. The photo on the right has everything including the ACII under the false bottom.

Hopefully if my truck gets broken into the ACII won't get discovered.

Here are the pictures of what I did.

gt40

PS: I copied this idea from someone else. I am also going to cut a half moon notch so I will be able to pull the false bottom off of the ACII with my finger.

Thanks to Michael T I did not cut the half moon to open it. I tied a button to some strong thread and glued it under the false bottom to pull on. So far it looks like the button was dropped in the box and works pretty good.
    Last edited by gt40; August 17th, 2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: changed opener.

Founding Member (First 100) mktacop's Avatar

Re: Concealed carry in my truck.

Nice job! May have to try something similar in my truck.
    WAR EAGLE!

www.bslbullet.com

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust." -James Madison

Wow !!..................very nice job. Looks professional.
    " We live in a world where there are no limits.....the only limits are in our minds."

Great job! A disguise would seem to be better than a safe.

VIP Founding Member (First 100) R.Ph. 380's Avatar

Ingenious and well executed. Nice

Bill
    'I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded' (stolen from another forum)

The Bill Of Rights. (Void where prohibited by law.)

45 ACP because once is plenty

Something did just occur to me. As much junk as I used to carry in the console of my work pickup, I'd never have been able to get to the bottom of it.

Someone posted this on another Forum:

OCGA 16-11-112.
    (a) As used in this Code section, the term:
    (1)(A) 'False or secret compartment' means any enclosure which is integrated into or attached to a vehicle and the purpose of the compartment is to conceal, hide, or prevent discovery by law enforcement officers of:
    (i) A person concealed for an unlawful purpose;
    (ii) Controlled substances possessed in violation of Article 2 of Chapter 13 of this title; or
    (iii) Other contraband.
    (B) Examples of 'false or secret compartment' may include, but are not limited to:
    (i) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;
    (ii) Original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified; or
    (iii) Any compartment, space, or box that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, or boxes of the vehicle.....

As long as you don't use it for a purpose contrary to law, you should have no problem.

Great idea.....just don't forget it when you sell your truck!

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

I think will depend on where you live if legal or not . It might also depend on the mood of the cop that finds it. Written law one thing But most Cops don't know all the laws Theirs just to many. So they arrest write up a charge and let the lawyers and court figure it out.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

I live in NC and travel into SC, VA and occasionally into WV and TN; the laws are pretty much the same but a bit different in each state with Virginia being the worst, but fortunately reciprocity exists with all these states ( and I understand that reciprocity will get you a little bit of slack of not being a Roman when in Rome). I have a compact car and carry concealed inside the passenger compartment in four different places - almost never outside NC in all four places at the same time.

1. Beside the passenger seat and small center console is a plateau that a Glock 17 fits in perfectly, this is my favorite position, slide down and grip pointed straight up (with a 33 round magazine in the pistol) I always keep a couple of hats in the car and always cover the pistol with a hat when I exit. Looks perfectly normal and with the parking brake lever pulled up or down the cap or hat covers the gun perfectly. This actually allows three things and several advantages, one it is not considered concealed if I am pulled over, I can easily heal the pistol and place it on dash in even the most adverse conditions or circumstances, if I think the encounter with the authorities might be something less than pleasant it will always go on the dash over on the passenger side before they get to the window..my hands always go out the window or on TOP of the steering wheel. I always make sure my wallet is in a place not close to a gun. In NC we have to declare the gun and verbally reveal the whereabouts when approached.

2. There is a concealed compartment in my dash board just below the audio system that is accessed via a hidden push button release. It is perfect sized for my mouse gun while inside it's inside my pocket holster. This is utilized almost always when we are in this car. VERY easily accessed (by either of us) and can be put easily and quickly in our hand if we go into an area were car jacking or curb service dope deals are known to occur.

3. I took GT40's idea and incorporated it into a heavy duty highly raised rubber floor mat that is covered with the original equipment manufactures carpet mat. This scenario was already in play throughout the car so the mats behind the passenger seat look no different than anywhere else in the car. When I first got the car in November 2005 I soaked all the carpets with industrial silicone to repel mud and water (even in the trunk), so I have some built in protection from moisture since the RIA lays right against the cars original carpet. The pistol does require frequent maintenance for rust prevention and has had rust start several times in various places on it since I recently started using this concealment option.

4. Lastly if a carbine or AK or AR pistol is carried inside the passenger compartment of the car I use a heavy duty LARGE (55 gallon) black trash bag, sometimes several depending on the weapon - the interior of my car is black and the trash bag looks like just like what it is - trash! The weapon can be used while still inside the bag if ejection jams are not a concern. I also carry a black cheap (like $2.00 - $4.00) black bath towel from Walmart as a backup to the trash bags in-case the long gun style pistol or carbine is hot, the towel also makes a nice weight to keep the trash bag from blowing all over the backseat area when in motion with the windows down. I never leave the car unlocked but I could, the car has not been washed or cleaned inside or out for several years and looks like a commuter beater and something a hobo might live in - it's so bad my wife will not drive it. But even with 130k on the clock it runs like a scalded dog when needed and gets 31MPG otherwise. Seat belts can be utilized in the backseat to hold "long gun trash bag" in place or it can work it's way into the floorboard which is often what happens and the 1911 under the passenger side floor mat is still easily accessible. I have the luxury of a double car garage and even keep the vehicle locked when inside our garage, just in case our granddaughters took a notion to play around inside our cars.

I no longer carry a spare tire in the trunk spare well, I'll let you use your imagination what might be lurking there.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

By cutting the 1/2 moon you will make noticeable that something been done Might try different approach.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    Someone posted this on another Forum:

OCGA 16-11-112.
    (a) As used in this Code section, the term:
    (1)(A) 'False or secret compartment' means any enclosure which is integrated into or attached to a vehicle and the purpose of the compartment is to conceal, hide, or prevent discovery by law enforcement officers of:
    (i) A person concealed for an unlawful purpose;
    (ii) Controlled substances possessed in violation of Article 2 of Chapter 13 of this title; or
    (iii) Other contraband.
    (B) Examples of 'false or secret compartment' may include, but are not limited to:
    (i) False, altered, or modified fuel tanks;
    (ii) Original factory equipment on a vehicle that has been modified; or
    (iii) Any compartment, space, or box that is added or attached to existing compartments, spaces, or boxes of the vehicle.....

As long as you don't use it for a purpose contrary to law, you should have no problem.
    Here's the point to make. (in red) If you tell LEO that there is a firearm in the vehicle, then your NOT hiding it from THEM.

Dumb law here in Texas: If I get pulled over, I'm required by law to hand the LEO my drivers license AND my CHL, even if I'm NOT carrying at the time. But, if your carrying in your vehicle without a CHL (which is legal) you are NOT required to volunteer that a weapon is in the vehicle. Go figure. It drives the cops nuts. That's why they always ask "are there any weapons in the vehicle".

Sometimes I forget, but I'm in NC, fat dumb looking and drive a crappy looking car, they probably feel sorry for me and cut me some slack -'cept for that last scooter cop that pulled me over for running 84 in a 65 while he followed me for almost three miles according to him....he was ticked!!!
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Here's the point to make. (in red) If you tell LEO that there is a firearm in the vehicle, then your NOT hiding it from THEM.

Dumb law here in Texas: If I get pulled over, I'm required by law to hand the LEO my drivers license AND my CHL, even if I'm NOT carrying at the time. But, if your carrying in your vehicle without a CHL (which is legal) you are NOT required to volunteer that a weapon is in the vehicle. Go figure. It drives the cops nuts. That's why they always ask "are there any weapons in the vehicle".

That dumb Texas law has changed. CHL or not, a driver is not required to tell an LEO there is a gun in a vehicle unless asked.
    qwiksdraw

They're saying that when he runs your car tags he knows you have a CHL. Of course, when I got my CHL I didn't own a vehicle, so I don't know what they'd do in a situation like that. I suppose when I bought my pickup & it was registered, it was an easy matter for them to tie it to my CHL. My wife just took her CHL class & she was told that when you hand him your driver's license, you must give him your CHL at the same time. I know they dropped the penalty for not telling him a couple of years ago.

Thanks to Michael T I did not cut the half moon to open it. I tied a button to some strong thread and glued it under the false bottom to pull on. So far it looks like the button was dropped in the box and works pretty good.

Nice that looks clean.