Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: Mi Amigo. It's all done! No more $'s going in this one.

Mi Amigo. It's all done! No more $'s going in this one.

Okay, I love this piece & believe I am done accessorizing. I was going to buy some fancy walnut grips to dress up Mi Amigo but I liked my Crimson Trace so well on my Govt. Colt Series 70 I had to get creative on the Amigo. The XS Big Dot Night sights are great but I am completely sold on the Crimson Trace laser grips. I wanted the Burl Walnut ones, sort of get my fancy walnut but with an added zinger! I have4 different compact magazines and they al work real well. Factory which I hate because it makes it as big as a Govt. in the grip. A Kimber, Brownell's and this thing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-Disc...item3cf0d7caa5 They work and do what they say they will! I got a new Galco Avenger Holster and new Galco belt as I have grown over the years since my last Galco belt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nearmisses; January 23rd, 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Re: Mi Amigo. It's all done! No more $'s going in this one.

Good job. I've heard of it, but that's the first I've seen that sight setup. Looks like it'd make it easy to get the windage right, rather than trying to center the front sight in a notch. I use the Crimson Trace on my Kimber for 'point & shoot' practice, but don't use it at the range.

For old eyes the XS are great! When you say you don't use the crimson trace at the range do you mean and indoor or out door? too much daylight? I had a post up on the 1911 side of the FALfiles http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php and got s few interesting answers. Did you watch any of their videos before buying them? I bought one of the Laserlite 45acp firing lasers last year and just pointing and shooting with it seems almost spot on WITHOUT having the CT on yet. I just think the 1911, in Amigo form, points quite naturally and the CT's prove it for me. Our home range is under a bunch of snow for now so testing will have to wait for it and indoor/driveway will have to suffice.

It worked okay for me when I was using an inside range which was pretty dark, but not at all on the outside range, even when cloudy. I've not been there late in the day, but would guess it'd have to be almost dark to be useful. Mainly, I want my practice to be with iron sights & not rely on lasers. I do know what you mean about old eyes, I'm 75, but I paint my front sight with "Bright Sights" orange & seem to pick it up pretty good, especially after my cataract surgery.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

When buying something That has make offer . I always make a offer . Be surprised what you might save .

I use the 185 gr+P in my Colt officer(same size as yours) and Colt Defender 3inch barrel .
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Nice Amigo!

VIP Site Supporter BigCityChief's Avatar

Very nice! BTW, don't shoot that Buck - he's already been there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO/NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    When buying something That has make offer . I always make a offer . Be surprised what you might save .

I use the 185 gr+P in my Colt officer(same size as yours) and Colt Defender 3inch barrel .

I did, got the mag for 18.00 after offering 16.00, with free fast shipping. I have a small stash of those 117gr Agulla's and they shoot nicely, use in home only. Cor-bon JHP 185's and 230 Federal Hydra-Shocks. Need to do some chronographing this spring and see the truth come out.

As far as lighting and visibility of the laser dot, Low light is best otherwise the XS BIG DOT is super fast with the rear line. I did manage to see it Fairly bright light with snow on the ground.
    Last edited by nearmisses; January 23rd, 2015 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nearmisses View Post
    Okay, I love this piece & believe I am done accessorizing. I was going to buy some fancy walnut grips to dress up Mi Amigo but I liked my Crimson Trace so well on my Govt. Colt Series 70 I had to get creative on the Amigo. The XS Big Dot Night sights are great but I am completely sold on the Crimson Trace laser grips. I wanted the Burl Walnut ones, sort of get my fancy walnut but with an added zinger! I have4 different compact magazines and they al work real well. Factory which I hate because it makes it as big as a Govt. in the grip. A Kimber, Brownell's and this thing, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-Disc...item3cf0d7caa5 They work and do what they say they will! I got a new Galco Avenger Holster and new Galco belt as I have grown over the years since my last Galco belt.
    Could you post a link for your grips. I looked on Crimson Trace web site and couldn't find yours.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    Could you post a link for your grips. I looked on Crimson Trace web site and couldn't find yours.
    I would look for Colt officer Should be same grip size Government/Commander Full size frame Officer/Defender Compact frame
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?