Welcome to the Metro Arms 1911 Forum Archives.

Metro Arms and BersaChat have teamed up.
Please sign up and join us at our main website, Bersa Chat, http://bersachat.com

Thread: If this is the wrong section move it please , wasn't sure

Mena, Arkansas , Quachita National Forest

If this is the wrong section move it please , wasn't sure

I couldn't find a reloading section on this forum so I am putting it here. If its wrong move it or delete it.
    I am new to the 1911 styles but not reloading and I reload most of my ammo. At the present I have a problem and can't remedy it. I am loading a American Classic ll . 45 with a 200 gr. Berry's flat nose with 4.8 gr. of Hodgon 700-x and a COAL of 1.22. They fire ,hit center at 25 yards and eject. Only problem is when I hand cycle the bullet face hits and lodges at the bottom of the chamber at the top of the ramp. When I let the slide go it will cycle and when shooting it cycles . It just jams when hand cycled. I have tried different COAL's from 1.23 down to 1.21 same thing . There is no marks on the bullet or case. I just can't seem to get the combination right. I have loaded all other including HP. and it works fine , no jams.
    A picture is worth a 1,000 words right?
    1. is the ramp as from the factory
    2. is the jammed shell
    3. is the load itself.
    Anyone offer some suggestions ?
    IMG_20140328_053850.jpgIMG_20140328_054140.jpgIMG_20140328_054305.jpg

VIP Founding Member (First 100) bobbysfd's Avatar

Re: If this is the wrong section move it please , wasn't sure

Read the tuner section on magazines

Reading Tuner's post on magazines is best, but also consider that when you are shooting you are extracting & ejecting an empty case, much shorter & lighter than a loaded round. You are also doing it at a much faster speed than when hand cycling, plus the length of the unfired round can be a problem because of the size of the ejection port. The timely ejection of the spent round is necessary for proper chambering of the next round.

Administrator
    R.I.P 26 Feb 2017

Semi auto are not made to hand cycle . If it shoot and reloads or I can load by slingshotting the slide Iam good to go.
    Certified Armed Infidel

"You call 911, I will call on 1911"

"Hokey religions and plastic glocks are no match for a good 1911 at your side, kid."

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

Mena, Arkansas , Quachita National Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
    Semi auto are not made to hand cycle . If it shoot and reloads or I can load by slingshotting the slide Iam good to go.
    I understand that , but I want to be careful and I check all my loads by hand and doing the plunk test to make sure things are working like supposed to. I don't like making up a big lot of loads then having to tear them down and redoing. This one particular load is the only one so far I have had trouble with on hand cycling. If I use the slide release and let it slam down things work fine. Firing 5 loads, I find no evidence of anything wrong though. So I guess things are good to go ?

VIP Site Supporter BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leesumm View Post
    I understand that , but I want to be careful and I check all my loads by hand and doing the plunk test to make sure things are working like supposed to. I don't like making up a big lot of loads then having to tear them down and redoing. This one particular load is the only one so far I have had trouble with on hand cycling. If I use the slide release and let it slam down things work fine. Firing 5 loads, I find no evidence of anything wrong though. So I guess things are good to go ?
    It certainly sounds as if you're good to go,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired LEO/NRA Member

I can understand not wanting to load up a bunch, then get to the range & they won't cycle. Possibly just checking a couple to be sure they chamber when you slingshot them would be a good test?

Don't hand cycle, if you only want to shot one round it should be in the magazine. That's how this gun is designed. Your extractor is telling you it's upset with your method.

Sent from the ZOO using Tapatalk 2